Greetings Lake Stewards,
The Federation of Vermont Lakes and Ponds (FOVLAP) has just launched our 2024 Membership Drive: Together, We Can Protect Vermont Lakes and Ponds – Join FOVLAP!
We invite all who care about Vermont’s Lakes and Ponds to join us, and become members for 2024. Working together as a Federation gives us a stronger voice for lake protection and for measures that help lake stewards, volunteers, and associations with the difficult challenges they face.
FOVLAP provides multiple membership levels:
- Association: Any lake or pond association representing a bonafide lake or pond is eligible for membership.
- Lake Representative: Lakes and ponds that do not have an association may have one voting representative upon payment of dues.
- Affiliate: Any representative of a business or organization adhering to the purposes of the Federation is eligible for affiliated membership. Affiliates are not eligible to vote at Federation meetings nor may affiliates designate a voting representative.
- Individual: Any person is eligible for membership.
- Individual – Student: A discounted rate for full-time students.
Significant FOVLAP accomplishments during the past year:
- Our Advocacy in the Legislature Resulted In:
- $500,000 in the state budget for Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention & Management
- Supported a new rule regulating wake sports in Vermont inland lakes
- Supported legislation for better protection of the most pristine lakes
- Testimony at legislative committee hearings to promote lake health
- Educational Events and Web Content
- New website with growing content related to lake-friendly living and lake ecosystems
- Periodic free webinars on topics of interest. Seven webinars, Annual Meeting, and Lake Seminar were recorded and can be found on the FOVLAP website.
- Multiple commentaries public media supporting increased protections for lakes
- Communications Among Lake Associations
- Website listing of contact, profiles and other information about member associations
- Website blogs with current news on lake issues
- Lake reports at Annual Meeting and association perspectives presented at FOVLAP events
- Regular email posts with information and updates
One change regarding membership expiration may impact some current members. The new policy for all types of memberships will expire at the end of the calendar year. Dues paid at any time during a given calendar year will provide active membership until the end of that calendar year. Previously, memberships were based on 1 year from the date of payment – they will now be for the calendar year.
For Associations: Dues paid early in the year ensure that your association has a vote at the FOVLAP Annual Meeting. As we transition to this new system, all memberships paid in 2023 are now considered expired, except association memberships paid after Sept. 5, 2023. Since, under the old policy, these members would be eligible to vote in the 2024 Annual Meeting on Sept. 5, 2024, these associations will be granted 2024 membership with no additional dues payment – and have been notified.
There is much to do to fulfill our common mission of preserving our precious lake resources, and together we are stronger in meeting these challenges.
Together We Can Protect Vermont Lakes and Ponds – Join FOVLAP!
There are two ways to join.
- To pay by credit card, you can visit our website and click on the “Start Now” button under the membership level you would like to join at.
- You can print and fill out our 2024 FOVLAP Membership Form and pay by check. Mail your completed form and dues check to FOVLAP, P.O. Box 766, Montpelier, VT 05601. Please be sure to use the proper area on the form for the membership you are selecting.
We thank you for your support of FOVLAP and for all the great work volunteers do for Vermont’s Lakes and Ponds. We look forward to working together in 2024.
Pat Suozzi, President
The Membership Committee; Dave Johnson, Jerremy Jones, Peggy Barter, Jay White, Jeri Bergdahl, Chair